Friday, September 10, 2010

Criteria

What should I include in a review of chocolate?

I assumed that chocolate tasting would be rather straightforward, and I'd want to evaluate the appearance, aroma, and taste of the chocolate. However, after doing research on the web, I found that chocolate tasting is as complex as wine tasting. Some reviews include seemingly unusual criteria, such as the sound of the snap as you break off a piece or the feel of the surface of the chocolate. Reviews often break down taste into factors such as the flavor of the chocolate, how it melts in your mouth, the length of time that the flavor lasts, and the final aftertaste (called finish).

At this point, I'm not all that interested in the appearance or snap of the chocolate. I'll still try to observe those things, but please have patience that my appreciation and reviews will improve with practice and experience.

Here's the best guide I've found on how to review chocolate, on SeventyPercent.com.

First review coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment